Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 8: Leviticus 1:1 - 14.32

So many details...

-Leviticus 2:11 says not to burn honey. I wonder why.

-Leviticus 6:28 talks about breaking earthen vessels that became unclean. It is interesting to note that non-porous vessels were scoured and reused having become clean. Porous vessels, which are impossible to completely clean by scouring, were to be broken; completely destroyed.

-Leviticus 7:24-26 tells what not to eat of meat and I find it interesting to note that fat and blood were specifically forbidden. Did you also know that the life of any being is in the blood? Did you further know that the toxins of any being are stored in the fat? Something to think about.

-Leviticus 12:2-5 had me wondering. Why is it a woman is unclean for only 40 days after giving birth to a male child, but is unclean for 80 days (twice as long) after giving birth to a female child? I wonder indeed... it seems so strange.

2 comments:

Jason Cooper said...

I'm fascinating about the burning honey thing - I don't remember it being there; but that's the thing, right - reading it at various points in our lives draws out different things cause we're different people.

I *think* I was unaware that the fat stores the toxins - quite telling, that.

Christine said...

The rule against burning honey might have been for practical reasons... I found out by trial & error that it doesn't work to dehydrate things with honey because there isn't water to evaporate - burning it probably just makes a big mess rather than a "sweet savor"...

I also wondered about the double length of being unclean for female children; I haven't looked it up yet, but I should. One thought I had is that perhaps it's indicative of their own future uncleanliness?